Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Deep Waters...

Am I raising little Pharisees?
Will my boys know how to act like christians, or actually be a christian? 

This is how things play out in my house.
"Thats mine Miles, thats mine."
"No, Jayson its mine."
"Give it back!!"
"WAAAAAAAH"
"Sorry Miles, Sorry Miles, Sorry Miles, Soooorrrryy!"
Me-"What happened"
"Jayson hit me"
"But, But, But he was trying to take my toy and I was playing with it"
Now, no one would look at this and think, oh well he apologized, good job!
It was obviously not a heart felt apology. and although this is a small example of a heart-felt apology, how often do we respond a certain way, just because we "know" thats how we should respond? But what is really in our hearts?
How do I reach the heart of my child? Proverbs 20:5 says "The purpose of a mans heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out."
My little 'mens' hearts are deep waters. Just because they are 2&4 doesn't mean I don't need to reach their hearts! It is my job to be a 'wo'man of understanding and draw out what is in their hearts.
What an incredible ministry! -and difficult! How easily do I drag out what is in my own heart?? Let alone that of a Pre-Ker and a toddler:)
We do this by communicating with them! When i just tell him, "Jayson, don't hit your brother" and "Miles, don't take a toy away from Jay." I am just telling them these are the rules. Abide by them! But it isn't my job to just tell them what to do. Proverbs 18:2 says,"the fool does not delight in understanding, but airing his own opinion." Y'all, when I tell them what they did wrong, it doesn't give them a chance to process through it themselves-and I am a fool!! They are little human beings, who need to be instructed in righteousness! It is what is in their hearts that produce their behavior!
Help God!! Help me to be a woman of understanding! To see their hearts! To help them to see their own hearts. To love them well. To not look at them as just children, but my own personal, special, God-chosen ministry!



if only everyday had this much brotherly love-this post would not have been so heavy on my heart!!



these two books are where my heart is right now!! Highly recommend both!

1 comment:

Amy DuBois said...

Doooode, this is sooooooooo good!